Grub rescue on arch linux

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP


Grub rescue on arch linux



Hello and thank you for reading.



I am a beginner to arch linux, my issue is about grub and arch linux, specially it going directly into grub rescue after I get back to linux from boot up windows.



I followed the instructions in this video to install it since I am on a efi system: https://youtu.be/QP68hRqQTJ4



Now, let me provide some context: I have arch linux installed with 3 partitions in a 3TB hdd. With the help of gdisk I partitioned all of these, the first one is an EFI boot partition located in /dev/sda1 with 600MB, second is /dev/sda2 which is my root partition with 35GB, the swap file was made later called /swapfile and the rest of the drive is used for /home which is around 2.7T. All of them being formatted how it is done in the video. I also have windows installed on a nvme m.2 ssd (separate from the 3tb HDD where Arch is installed)



After being done with installation, I then boot into windows then restart back to linux ( I do this for testing purposes) and I am prompted with "Welcome to GRUB!"


error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _



Doing "ls" displays the drives


(hd0) (hd1) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2) (hd2,gpt5) (hd2,gpt4) (hd2,gpt3) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1)



Looking this issue up on google would suggest to ls (the drive name) for each one to find boot info but ALL of them display: (hdX,gptY): Filesystem is unknown. I suspect that the (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) are the partitions that have the required files.


(hdX,gptY): Filesystem is unknown



using the "set" command displays the following:


cmdpath=(hd1,gpt1)/EFI/grub_uefi
prefix=(hd1,gpt2)/boot/grub
root=hd1,gpt2



I have tried different things online but none of them seem to have solved the issue for me, including doing "ls" to every drive then setting them with "set" then doing "insmod normal" then "normal" and still failed.



Now, using a usb live install, I would like to show what my /etc/fstab looks like. I have to do fsck -y /dev/sda2 to be able to mount /mnt to /dev/sda2 after its done then I can vim into /etc/fstab: (IMAGE)
/etc/fstab
then here is the blkidoutput
blkid


/etc/fstab


fsck -y /dev/sda2


/mnt


/dev/sda2


blkid



Another thing I would like to also point out is: Arch linux seems like it would be working fine if I do not boot into windows at all but the problems begin when I come back from windows, this is an issue one way or the other when I change the bootloader to systemd-boot bringing issues with the swap partion and home partitions.



With that said, when I am done following the video/guide it boots up fine with no errors. However, the troubles ALWAYS come after I get back from booting windows 10. Now, since I am not doing a dual boot with windows and arch being in the same drive, why is,I assume, windows causing troubles?



Thank you so much for reading through my struggle, I will continue trying different things like making sure the UUID in /etc/fstab/ matches those that show up with blkid even if they reset after booting from windows to arch again. Again, thanks for reading, I am determined to get this to work!









By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

C# - How to create a semi transparent or blurred backcolor on windows form

Will Oldham

Makefile test if variable is not empty