Speeding up SQL transfer over a network

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP


Speeding up SQL transfer over a network



I have two SQL environments, data warehouse which collects data and a datamart which people access for a subset of the data, each with their own SQL 2016 databases. I run a script which pulls out data, transforms it and transfer it from the data warehouse to the datamart using Linked Servers. The entire process takes around 60+ hours to run. I want to avoid at all costs at having the data warehouse data in the datamart.



I experimented to see why the whole process was taking so long. I did a backup of the data warehouse, restored it onto the datamart and ran the import script and the entire process took around 3 hours to run. The script itself to 1.5 hours, telling me of the 60+ hours its the linked server transfer of data between the two servers that is the slowest part. I've pretty much ruled out network speed or issues between the two servers; this is all SQL. I'm trying to avoid having to write an application to do all of this in .NET if I can keep it in SQL.



Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve performance time between SQL transfers?









By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

C# - How to create a semi transparent or blurred backcolor on windows form

Will Oldham

Makefile test if variable is not empty