Have a IDE Scaling issue in VS2017 Winforms Application

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP


Have a IDE Scaling issue in VS2017 Winforms Application



I've googled this, and wasn't able to find exactly what I needed. So I will present it here and see if there is quick setting I can change that solves this issue.



My issue is one of Scaling, but not in the run-time sense as you (and Google) would suspect. Rather it's in the VS2017 designer itself, in that the point location settings for controls on a form wont stay consistent from one resolution to another. Here is what I mean:



Workstation @ work is Windows 10 (v1709), on dual 1920 x 1080 monitors.



Workstation @ home is Windows 10 (v1709), on triple 4k monitors (dual GTX-1080's in SLI).



Same project (working on it at work and home).



When I open the designer @ home, naturally everything is smaller.. but some control items are 'out of place' point wise. So I adjust them and continue on. When I get to work, I have to adjust those same controls yet again.



Now I am already guessing (and I haven't tested this yet) that this is due to the fact that I have the Scale, in the Display settings on my home workstation, set to 125% (because everything is VERY tiny on a 4K monitor if set to 100%). But I thought the IDE in VS2017 would compensate accordingly, without adjusting the actual point values for control locations...



Or is there another setting I am missing, in VS2017 itself, that will allow the forms to keep consistency between environment resolutions?



UPDATE 07/25/2018: I set the Scaling down to 100% and checked to see if that made a difference. It did not! So I set the resolution, of my main display, to 1920 x 1080. That had no affect either. I am totally at a loss here, as I have never experienced anything like this before. Controls are out of place, and the fonts are larger than what is displayed on my workstation at work. I didn't make any corrections this time, so everything will look as it should when I get back to work.



However, I am thinking that this may entirely be a display issue, as Visual Studio is not seeing a change (i.e. does not prompt to SAVE) in any of the forms when I close the project.



Monitor DPI difference (stretching.. need rope here)?




1 Answer
1



Well, I actually found the answer to this dilemma on here, in this posting.



It essentially states what I suspected. It's a DPI issue. The posting mentions a work-around, but it's not a complete solution as there are trade-offs.



So I guess I will have to get an actual 1920 x 1080 monitor in order to work on Winforms applications at home.






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

C# - How to create a semi transparent or blurred backcolor on windows form

Will Oldham

Makefile test if variable is not empty