Tried to update matplotlib; lost it completely

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP


Tried to update matplotlib; lost it completely



On my Mac OSX machine, I am unable to import mpl_toolkits with python2-7. I thought I would fix this by upgrading matplotib. I tried


sudo pip install --U matplotlib



It was a no-go with a very long error message that I will show at the end of this question.



Then, on a lark, I tried dropping the sudo:


pip install --U matplotlib



It failed with error


Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/kiwisolver.so'
Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.



What the heck? I think. I'll give sudo one more try. It fails with a new error:


Found existing installation: six 1.4.1
Cannot uninstall 'six'. It is a distutils installed project and thus we cannot accurately determine which files belong to it which would lead to only a partial uninstall.



Now here's real kicker: I can no longer import matplotlib at all:


>>> import matplotlib
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 125, in <module>
raise ImportError("matplotlib requires pyparsing")
ImportError: matplotlib requires pyparsing



So, can anyone tell me at least how to get back to a usable matplotlib? And how to update it and get to mpl_toolkits would be great too.



BTW, that long error I mentioned was:


Installing collected packages: setuptools, kiwisolver, six, cycler, subprocess32, pytz, backports.functools-lru-cache, numpy, pyparsing, python-dateutil, matplotlib
Found existing installation: setuptools 18.5
Uninstalling setuptools-18.5:
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
status = self.run(options, args)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run
prefix=options.prefix_path,
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 778, in install
requirement.uninstall(auto_confirm=True)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 754, in uninstall
paths_to_remove.remove(auto_confirm)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_uninstall.py", line 115, in remove
renames(path, new_path)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 267, in renames
shutil.move(old, new)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 299, in move
copytree(src, real_dst, symlinks=True)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 208, in copytree
raise Error, errors
Error: [('/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.pyc', '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.pyc', "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.pyc'"), ('/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.py', '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.py', "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.py'"), ('/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.py', '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.py', "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/markers.py'"), ('/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.pyc', '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.pyc', "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib/__init__.pyc'"), ('/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib', '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib', "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/pip-4yz1zL-uninstall/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/_markerlib'")]





The issue is no longer that you don't have matplotlib installed. Now, you need to reinstall the dependency pyparsing. Try pip install pyparsing.
– Joel
2 mins ago


matplotlib


pyparsing


pip install pyparsing









By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Arduino Mega cannot recieve any sketches, stk500_recv() programmer is not responding

Visual Studio Code: How to configure includePath for better IntelliSense results

Future solutions